General Damage Information
The parent/guardian is responsible for the cost of repair or replacement if a laptop, iPad, or their accessories are damaged, not returned, lost, or stolen. We offer optional insurance to help reduce the cost of any needed repairs.
Damage to district devices should be reported within two days. Technology staff will perform periodic inspections to ensure no damage goes unreported. Incidents which result in laptop damage involving multiple students will be investigated by building administration to determine fault.
Please note: The previously free technology insurance offered to students in Kindergarten-fourth grade has ended. For protection against unwanted costs due to device damage or loss, be sure to opt-in to technology insurance during Online Verification. The costs are reflected below.
Parents choose to accept or deny insurance coverage during enrollment or verification. The premium payment is due 30 days from when the student begins to attend school. If you deny insurance coverage or do not pay the premium within the time allowed, all damages will be charged at cost. A chart of the most common damages and their repair costs can be found on page 15 of the One-to-One Student/Parent Laptop Handbook (PDF).
Optional Annual Insurance
- $50 premium for full year coverage
- $25 for free/reduced program participants
- $30 premium for full year coverage
- $15 for free/reduced program participants
Claims and Deductibles
$50 damage deductible per incident
$150 deductible for stolen(police report required) or irreparably damaged laptop or iPad
Items Below Insurance Deductible (charged at cost)
$20 charger/power adapter
$20 protective sleeve
Items Not Covered by Insurance
$25 fee for removal or damage to asset tags and other official labels.
$25 cleaning fee for laptops that have been drawn, painted, or marked on, defaced, or had unapproved stickers attached. School approved stickers are acceptable.
Insurance coverage also will not apply in cases of:
- Damage due to dishonest, fraudulent, malicious, or criminal acts
- Damage due to usage not in accordance with district policies and procedures.
- Additional damages due to failure to protect device from further harm after initial damage occurs.
- Disappearance of device not reported to law enforcement
- Loss due to negligence
- Failure to return device or accessories at the end of school or prior to leaving the district
If you have questions about insurance or device damage policies, please contact the technology Help Desk at 816-359-5000.